Managers and supervisors contribute by:
- Increasing their ability to recognize the indications of mental distress.
- Ensuring their own competency in the skills necessary to support employees with mental health concerns.
- Learning to effectively communicate with employees about accommodation needs.
- Working with co-workers so they understand their role in the duty to accommodate.
- Developing skills and approaches when managing performance of employee who is mentally distressed.
- Discussing stay at work and return to work plans with their employee and supporting recommended accommodations.
- Ensuring direct reports understand mental health policy.
- Providing educational opportunities at regular intervals about mental health in the workplace.
- Ensuring employees receive encouragement and support in the development of their interpersonal, emotional and job skills.